We are on the Tour! Are you coming?
Many years ago we decided to go on the Seattle Tilth Chicken Coop Tour and see what was involved in raising chickens. I was curious, but unsure. To say it was fascinating was an understatement! Seattle is full of amazing urban farms, a full array of chicken coops, bees, goats, and a wealth of creative ideas. The hosts were both educational and inspiring.
Forward to many years, 9 chickens, 2 chicken coop run remodels, and an ever-expanding edible garden later. We are gearing up for being a host ourselves. (Aw, we’ve come along way friends!) The past 2 years we have been on the West Seattle Edible Garden Tour and that was fun and incredibly rewarding. This year I wanted to reach a larger audience to showcase backyard chicken raising and edible gardening and support Seattle Tilth.
If you have been by our place, or followed the Mid-Month Meanderings over the years, you’ll know things are always changing around here. This year I just finished remodeling (or re-remodeling?) the chicken run to give it some new features that will make life easier for us. We are also having a lot of luck with new hugelkultur beds on our parking strip for pollinators. I can’t wait to show it off!
This year there will be 50 sites to visit. It would be impossible to visit them all, but you can see a lot. Tilth has made it easier by creating easy to follow maps done region-by-region.
You can get your tickets online at brown paper tickets or from any of the following local retailers:
- Seattle Tilth office at the Good Shepherd Center in Wallingford, Monday through Saturday, 9:00a.m.-5:30p.m.; 4649 Sunnyside Ave N Ste 100 98103
- City People’s Mercantile (tickets available June 30) in Sand Point, open weekdays 9am-7pm, Sat 9am-6pm, Sun 10am-6pm; 5440 Sand Point Way NE 98105
- City People’s Garden Store in Madison Valley, open Mon-Sat 9am-6pm, Sunday 10am-6pm;2939 E Madison St. 98122
- Central Co-op (formerly Madison Market) in Capitol Hill, open daily 7am-11pm, 1600 East Madison St. 98122
- Next to Nature in West Seattle, open Mon-Sat 9am-9pm, Sunday 10am-5pm; 4543 California Ave SW 98116
- Portage Bay Grange in the U-District, open Mon-Sat 10am-6pm, Sundays 10am-4pm; 4110 Roosevelt Ave NE 98105 (My Favorite!!!)
- Walt’s Organic Fertilizer in Ballard, open 10am – 6pm Tues-Fri and 10am-4pm on Sat; 1528 NW Leary Way 98107
- Rainier Beach Farm & Wetlands (July 14 only), from 9am-Noon: in Rainier Beach, 5513 S Cloverdale St, Seattle WA 98118, Cash only
I would love to meet you in personand show you around – so please introduce yourself! If you are touring west seattle, be sure to check out my friend Lilly’s place. If you are up north, definitely stop by Stacy’s!