December’s Mid-Month Meanderings didn’t happen. I fret about it for a while and then realized I didn’t do December last year either. Know why? There is nothing happening in the garden in December. The stuff under hoops looks exactly as it did in November. We’ve had some more frosts.
I love the frosty blueberry bushes.
The robins have eaten all the madrone berries and moved along. The sweet bushtits are plentiful. I never tire of watching them flit about.
That is kind of it for the garden. You can rest assured that I am starting the annual pouring over seed catalogs though!
And, I’ve been knocked on my ass with the most ridiculous case of Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease ever. Apparently it is very common in children but rare in adults. And if adults do happen to get HFM, it tends to be very mild. I, however, spent 36 hours in bed with a high fever and chilling. Now I have rapidly progressing blisters all over my hands and feet. My feet are so swollen I can’t bend my toes at all. I actually went to urgent care last night begging for something to take away the itching, swelling, or pain. Last night, I crawled up the stairs because I couldn’t walk. Yes, crawled. Wah. Stupidly awful.
So, not much going on the garden. My body is seemingly a mystery. Let’s talk about fun festive cocktails instead shall we? Of course!
Cranberry Gin and Tonic
Adapted slightly from Gourmet. Serves 8-ish.
- 2 (12-ounce) bags fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3 ½ cups chilled tonic water
- 1 ½ cups gin
- juice of 2 limes
- Bring cranberries, sugar, and water to a simmer in a saucepan. Simmer, uncovered until berries start to pop, about 2 minutes.
- Drain cranberries in a fine-mesh sieve set over a large glass bowl. Reserve 2 cups of cranberries whole and force the remaining berries through sieve into syrup.
- You can toss the solids leftover in the sieve (though I saved them for some-yet-to-be-determined-something). Add reserved 2 cups of cranberries to syrup.
- Transfer to a pitcher and chill until cold, about 2 hours.
- Add rest of ingredients to syrup and stir.
- Serve drinks over ice.