A while back I promised you a recipe.
I don’t forget a promise, but lately it seems like I’m behind on my delivery schedule. I’m painfully aware of a long ago promised Homestead Act 2.1 that I’ve yet to cough up for you. There wasn’t a November Can Jam Roundup of my own. The December Can Jam deadline is looming and I can’t seem to decide what to make. Trust me… I’m working it out.
Anyhow, do you make your own salad dressing? Please say yes. Really. It takes as close to zero time in the kitchen as anything ever will. And the results are about 2.36 trillion times better than anything you’ll ever buy in the store.
This salad is part of our regular rotating salad repertoire and one of the quickest to make. We’re talking minutes people! I love the combination of crunchy pistachios, salty feta and a tangy, spicy dressing. You can add some chicken if you’d like to make more of a full meal.
Spinach Salad with Pistachios and Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup hot pepper jelly (will determine how kicky your dressing becomes)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ~ pinch each kosher salt and ground pepper
- baby spinach
- feta cheese, crumbled
- pistachios, shelled
- red onion, thinly sliced
- Warm jelly in glass bowl in microwave (about 30 seconds or so) **
- Add vinegar, oil, salt and pepper until blended.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Place spinach in bowl and toss with dressing. Top with sliced onion, pistachios and a sprinkle of feta.
Dressing will make enough for about 6 servings.
** Actually, I’m lazy. I put the jelly in a glass jar to warm, dump the other dressing ingredients in and shake. Store extra dressing in same jar in fridge. No extra dirty dishes. Bonus!