Radish + Peanut Butter= Sandwich Greatness

To commemorate college graduation, my brother and I spent the first part of the summer of 1995 on an epic month-long Eurail trip around Europe. Neither of us were strangers to European travel and we hit it hard and heavy.  To say we saw, and did, a lot would be an understatement.

In Germany, while consuming entirely too much beer, I discovered radishes are fantastic. Who knew? Clearly, the Germans!  Hungry, and likely more than a bit tipsy, I dipped radish after radish into butter and salt. They were perfection. I didn’t know yet that the radish-butter-salt combination was a classic. Robbed of this piece of my heritage I tell you! Robbed! (I’m ¼ German, if you care or were wondering.)

grow and resist radish peanut butter sandwich

If you like radishes, you’ve no doubt enjoyed the spring-radish-loving classic of a radish and butter sandwich.  Scattered with a bit of good salt it is simple and delightful.

But, have you ever experienced a Radish and Peanut Butter Sandwich?  My Dad enjoys them and I had not been able to decide if the idea was genius or disgusting.  After several trials I’m here to go down on the side of GENIUS!

grow and resist radish peanut butter sandwich

I haven’t been able to find much on the origins of such a sandwich. Apparently Kathy Kohner-Zucherman (the inspiration behind Gidgetused to trade her radish-and-peanut butter sandwiches for a chance to surf.  There is a very brief anecdotal note on the Cascadian Farms blog.  But not much else.  I know it may seem a bit odd. But people seem to love to mix peanut butter with all sorts of odd things on sandwiches, so I’m actually a bit perplexed at the absence of anything out there.  But doesn’t peanut butter make most things even better than they already are?  The salty creamy and crunchy of a peanut spread mixed with the wet, sharp crunchy bite of a radish? Of course!

Radish- Peanut Butter Sandwich

• 2 slices of soft whole grain bread (it does need to be soft– super dense and/or dry bread doesn’t work)
  • peanut butter, preferably crunchy
  • sliced radish

You can toast you bread, but I prefer it un-toasted.  You can also butter your bread on the side that isn’t peanut buttered. I like it that way best!  A thicker layer of radishes is ideal– but as I mentioned before, hoarding enough radishes just for me is tough! Layer. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt and maybe some cracked pepper. Bite. Mmmm.

grow and resist radish peanut butter sandwich

Sometimes, if I’m really feeling the radish love, I layer some radish greens for an extra bite.  At any rate, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!  Somehow, some way, it works!

Have you tried it? Heard of it? Know any more of the origin? I’d love to hear!

This entry was posted in Kitchen and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Radish + Peanut Butter= Sandwich Greatness

1. Lacy says:

thanks! I’ll definitely have to try this, I currently love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches on toast. bread and butter or dill are my favorite

2. emmycooks says:

No! Ok, wait, let me try…hm. Crunchy, creamy, interesting–but I wish this radish was a banana. Still no. But I always like to try something new, especially if it involves radishes. :)

3. Traveling Mom says:

This is truly a fantastic sandwich – as Meg said – it is her Dad’s favorite! (Of course, I must add that you could probably put anything between 2 slices of bread and he would love it with the requisite amount of mayo and mustard!) But…I the finicky one, love crunchy peanut butter and radishes also! It must be a regional thing also, because I mentioned this sandwich at home in CA and my friends just said, “What???” I like the radishes sliced very thin. I will have to try the radish dipped in butter and salt…..Of course, Meg, will you make me a Moscow Mule???

4. dixiebelle says:

Sounds like my sort of combination!

I love peanut butter … and I’m the only one in my house who will even touch radishes … and I’m pregnant and thus (allegedly) open to strange combinations …

Okay, I’ll give this a try! I’ll report back!

6. Milla says:

Holy s***! This could be a way to get my man to eat radishes. I love ‘em with rolls/bread and hummus. Or just plain. I grew winter radishes this year and before they got too enormous they were so delicious. Thanks for the tip

7. Christine says:

Just when I was beginning to think I’d “imagined” this midwest childhood classic, you post about it! On summer weekends my dad would make radish sandwiches for us. His version was on rye with butter and salt. I’ve lived in So Cal for 30 years and so far, no home-grown Californian has ever heard of this. Something I find odd considering all the other things they eat! Your garden is to die for! Love it!

• My parents like it on rye too! I never seem to have rye around when I have radishes, but it sounds good to me! Glad to know there are others out there that eat/ate the sandwich!
      Thanks!

8. Alberta Upson says:

The peanut butter that i always buy have some additional nuts in it and they taste great. .

Newest article on our very own internet page