July Mid-Month Meanderings II: Edible Garden Tour!

We were on the West Seattle Edible Garden Tour again this year.  I was pretty panicky that there would be nothing growing.   So I peeked back at the Mid-Month Meanderings from last year and things weren’t as far behind as I imagined.

The beans are actually further along (but we had major slug issues last year requiring several sowings) this year.  The nasturtiums were much further along last year.  Tomatoes a bit ahead last year.   It all works out.  The columnar apples are booming and the strawberries and blueberries luscious.  The peas were seriously lackluster.  There isn’t any fruit set on the apricot, pear or honeycrisp apple trees.  One lonely plum on the 2nd year plum.   They are a combination of new and 2nd year trees.  The berries seem to be thriving and I’ve picked a few black currants.  I spotted some of the tiniest cucumbers you’ve likely ever noticed yesterday.  Things are happening and I’m being patient.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings bee and bachelor button

We have so many bees this year! This bee is loving up on the Bachelor Buttons and loading up on pollen.   Happy bees!

grow and resist july mid month meanderings cabbage

Cabbage and carrots

grow and resist july mid month meanderings service berries or june berries

Serviceberries (which are also known as Juneberries) are the favorite of the Babylady.  We have on large shrub.   This year we got 2 serviceberry trees for our big, ugly south-facing slope as they are supposed to be good for hill erosion as well.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings service berries or june berries

The Babylady is my lil’ Sal (from Blueberries for Sal).

grow and resist july mid month meanderings cabbage

A different variety of cabbage.  The little holes?  I’m a sharer, what can I say?

grow and resist july mid month meanderings crocosmia

The crocosmia is blooming and that makes me happy! I’ll be looking for more hummingbirds now.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings pole beans

The pole beans are starting the climb up the ladder trellis.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings freshed picked vegetables

The garden is a bit slow going, but ultimately it produces.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings garden overview

bed of cauliflower, ladder trellis, little potted fig tree, plum tree (R) and apple tree (back)

grow and resist july mid month meanderings garden overview

The other way- another plum, lots of berries, 2 columnar apples, a jungle of perennial flowers and several aspen trees

grow and resist july mid month meanderings garden overview

Their was a lot of borage in the perennial/flower/pollinator-attractor seeds I planted. It is wild. But easy to pick out if it gets too much.  And the bees? They are loving it.  I’ll thin the whole area out next spring and transplant them to our parking strip.  But for now, I am loving it. There is a cute little patio in there. Too small to do much with so it is mostly a spot for a bird bath and to wander into and feel surrounded by gorgeous flowers, trees and berries.  Not bad, not bad at all I say.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings berrys and plum

Boysenberry in a cage, borage and an italian plum in back.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings baby bird on asparagus fern

Little baby bird (a chickadee I think?) perched on the tall asparagus (left this time of the year to grow).

grow and resist july mid month meanderings columnar apple

Columnar apples are looking great.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings rhubarb

Hiding rhubarb.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings calendula

Sunny calendula.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings tomato blossom

Promising some tomatoes.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings tomato blossom

Really! We might just get a few! They started painfully slow this year, but are picking up steam and the plants look amazing!

grow and resist july mid month meanderings broccoli

Broccoli crowning.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings blueberries

Yippee! Blueberries! I must, must get some into the freezer. We ran out so early last winter.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings sunflowers, summer squash and cucumbers

Slow going mix- perhaps a strange mix. But the chickens got out and I needed to reseed, without remember what had been there before.  Some chives and itsy-kale too.

grow and resist july mid month meanderings sedums blooming

The sedum hasn’t bloomed before, but I tell you- I smile everytime I walk by!

grow and resist july mid month meanderings nasturiumsPlaying with my fancy new phone and loving the nasturtiums!

Happy gardening  and dreaming!

This entry was posted in Garden and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to July Mid-Month Meanderings II: Edible Garden Tour!

1. Ellen says:

Your garden looks great! Thanks for sharing. My cabbage is much more full of holes than yours…but I haven’t been able to spot what’s eating it.

2. Elizabeth F says:

Really nice progress. I wish I had a digital camera to record my garden. We have serviceberry
    trees outside my kitchen window, on the edge of the patio. Those are for the birds. They love them and that is where I hang feeders also. What they don’t eat in the summer gets eaten through the fall and winter, too.

3. Memaw Elise says:

Meg, it’s beautiful and so lush! You’re doing a great job!!! Memaw Elise

4. Julia says:

I love taking tours of your garden! And isn’t it nice to be able to look back at last year? It really helps to figure some things out. One of the better reasons to have a blog/journal, I think. I totally want a serviceberry, you know. Jealous of that one! And your fruit is really incredible. Do you have them staked or caged at all? My new plum and quince trees are making me sad. The rain made their new leaves all die. They are still growing, but I fear for them…My grapes however are happy as little clams. There’s always an upside!

5. Stacy says:

No, not bad at all! Hey, what’s that stocky looking plant next to your squash plants…in the bed that the chickens got into? And you know, just because the fruit trees don’t have fruit on them yet, doesn’t mean it’s not totally fantastic that you have all those fruit trees growing in your yard. The garden looks fantastic!!

Looks amazing! My garden is a bit of a disappointment this year … so far, anyway. In our area, we always have the possibility of a glorious autumn to keep our spirits high and hope alive through the overcast, foggy summer. It might all recover! Maybe …

7. Shae says:

Beautiful, Meg! I’ve never had a serviceberry, but if they’re a fave of the babylady, I’d better get going on that. I love to see your harvest coming in — those carrots! I don’t know whether I’m going to do a garden post this month, everything seems the same around here, just a little bigger. You have such admirable diversity in your garden, and I love walking through it with you every month.

8. Shae says:

And yes, indeedy, that is a black-capped chickadee . . . :-)

9. I don’t know what we have in our yard that attracts hummingbirds, but we do see them. A week or two ago Tai & I were sitting on the back deck, sipping an adult beverage, when this hummingbird zoomed in, hovered for about 30 seconds right in between us – no lie, about 6 inches from my face – and then flew off. It was amazing.

I think she was after the rhubarbarita, but was too polite to just sip & run.

I also have some borage, in a container, of course, which makes it eventually flop over because it is so tall, but they bloomed nicely from seed. The calendula seeds I started at the same time are still 2-inch high green stalks. :(

10. Elizabeth says:

We always plant lots of red blossoming plants around the patio where the feeders are. They apparently especially like tubular blossoms. One day my son was weeding the garden and wearing a red t shirt and he looked up eye to eye with a hummingbird that kept dive bombing his shirt, then realized its mistake and took off.

11. Pingback: Seattle Tilth Chicken Coop and Urban Farm Tour | Grow & Resist